Now that COVID-19 restrictions are at level one in New Zealand, it’s great to see how many businesses have reopened and are trading again. Now more than ever, local businesses need your support – because where you shop makes a difference to the economy, businesses, jobs and most importantly, New Zealanders’ lives and wellbeing.
Whether you are working from home, back in the office, or even if your job has been affected by COVID-19, there are so many ways you can still help your local community. The next time you think about ordering from overseas, contemplate one of the options below. I know I will be. Let us each make a small difference to get New Zealand back up and running on all cylinders!
Here are a few ways we can show our support:
- Spending (and sharing) locally can provide exponentially positive effects, which can create a lasting impact for our team of 5 million. More than a dozen American studies over the past decade show locally-owned independent retailers re-spend more than three times as much of each sales dollar locally compared to their chain competitors. That adds up to a huge difference in creating local jobs and local wealth.
- Tagging friends and family in local businesses’ social media can create a groundswell of support. Local businesses often add value to communities by helping sustain vibrant town centres, and by supporting local community causes. If we buy and sell from other local businesses, we can help promote community wellbeing by ensuring profits remain in the community. This also allows us to create a network of positive economic and social relationships – the ultimate community to get New Zealand back up and running.
- Booking direct can deliver a win for a business, and for you. The phrase “if you don’t ask, you don’t get” springs to mind when we look to get the best deal. So why not pick up the phone and call a business directly to ensure that you can secure the best deal, and in turn keep the cash flowing. For example, by calling hotels and motels directly, you may be able to get a better price AND the accommodation supplier may pay less in fees too, so a win-win!
- Picking up a Gift Card can support a business’s cash flow by banking some future revenue now. By purchasing local gift card options, you provide immediate cash flow for a local business – and it’s also a great gift, as people can then choose what they want – no more unwanted socks or ties!
- Online shopping means that in many instances you don’t even need to leave your house to support a local business – check out a selection of Kiwi retailers, many of which have online stores, by visiting the Shop Kiwi website.
Why should I support local?
- Your friends, your family and your neighbours – many of these people own, work for, or are dependent on a local business in some way. The more we shop local, the more businesses will thrive and will be able to share that prosperity back into the New Zealand economy.
- Reduce unemployment – every coffee you buy at your local cafe, that pair of shoes you purchase from a local retailer – these actions can help save jobs and ensure livelihoods.
- Reduced environmental impact – local retailers can have a significantly reduced environmental impact.
- Get your goods faster! COVID-19 has, in many places, led to significant delays in overseas shipping. If you don’t want to potentially wait weeks, or even months for your purchase, choose a local option!
So, the next time you are shopping, whether it’s for groceries, clothes, or an online class – think about purchasing and shopping local!